Saturday

Day 11- The Dread of Eating

Over the past few days, a completely unexpected feeling has come over me: The desire not to eat. You would think that someone living on a rather modest budget if a $1 per day would jump at the idea of any food, but the opposite is turning out to be true.

For the past few days, I’ve put off eating as much as possible. I have plenty of food, I know what I can afford to eat, and yet I find myself putting it off.

I think the root of the problem is that food makes me feel slow and sluggish now. Any food. If I have small bowl of spaghetti, I feel like taking a nap for an hour. If I eat a hard boiled egg, I feel like I just had a seven course meal. My body seems to have adapted to the point where any food is interpreted as gorging.

Once I eat for the first time in the day, food for the rest of the day seems more appealing, but I’m regularly delaying that first meal of the day until 6pm or 7pm.

9 Comments:

Blogger Rob Stewart said...

I have got into the bad habit of skipping breakfast and a lot of times not eating supper. I find that right after lunch I CRASH! Around 2:30 in the afternoon I just have to close my eyes. It usually passes within a few minutes but the larger the lunch and if I skipped supper the night before, all has an impact on how badly I crash after lunch.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this page just explained a lot to me. I've been living off about $10/mo for the past five years, and I feel exactly the way you've descibed here.

How do I live off only $10/mo? I work at a fast food joint :)

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's because your body spends energy at digesting the food. Energy you don't have.

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get that too. I usually feel like I have more energy when I'm eating very little, then feel really drained if I eat a proper meal.

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, this is what happens to anorexics. Something to be wary of, for those thinking about attempting this themselves.

4:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is pretty interesting information that you are telling here. I have also found some usefull information on this website. Also, huge info about calories, calorie counters, different types of diets, diet food, fitness and weight loss. Please visit, really usefull information!

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have heard that anorexics lose the desire to eat. That seems crazy to me, but maybe it is true after all.

5:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've gone on a number of multi-week backpacking trips and we bring along a lot of calories, but not much variety. Mostly nuts, peanut butter, dehydrated food, candies, and such. After a week to 10 days I am usually so fed up with the food options that even after having carried 45 pounds for 12 miles over 10,000 total feet of elevation change (up and down), I don't feel like eating dinner.

It's not that I'm hungry but not wanting to eat, it's that I'm not hungry, period. Same thing at breakfast and lunch. After a week of eating the same bland food I have to start forcing myself to eat.

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thought was always us as Americans and other advanced countries is that we have too vast of choices to eat. Jumping from one type of food to another never allows us the option to actual get bored with the tastes. Instead we are always wide-eyed with new colors, tastes, options on our never ending food menu. If we were like other countries that do not have the option of all that we do perhaps we would eat simply to survive, not for entertainment purposes.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home