Monday

Day 6 - Conversations

It’s only six days in and I’ve already had about 20 conversation about why I’m doing this. Here’s the most popular questions so far:

Are you trying to lose weight? (No, but if it happens, it happens.)

Is this religious or political or something? (It is something, but I don’t think it’s religious or political.)

Are you poor? (Yes, but not this poor!)

Are you a vegetarian? (Never before, although it seems like it might be a side effect of this particular diet. I’ll be back to my carnivorous ways on December 1.)

Are you going to do something special with all the money you’re saving? (Yes)

Are you going to keep living like this after the month is over? (I suspect I won’t immediately regress into my old eating habits, but I don’t really plan to keep this up beyond November.)

Is this like that 30 Days show with that guy who ate McDonalds for a month? (I guess it's sort of similar but with less cameras. And come to think of it, the last time I saw that guy (Moran Spurlock), he was spending 30 days in jail as part of his project. So I guess he's a little more committed than I.)

Did you see that coupon in that paper? (Probably not.)

Did you know that a pack of Nutter-Butter Wafers is only 99 cents and has 1000 calories in it? (I did not know that.)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction the guy from super size movie it morgan not moran

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it was a typo.







----------------
www.tawny-kitaen.com

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So I guess he's a little more committed than I." That just cracked me up! Great job!

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.nabiscoworld.com/Brands/ProductInformation.aspx?BrandKey=nutterbutter&Site=1&Product=4400004631

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Ken Sloan said...

This whole 30 day blog was extremely easy to read in a very short amount of time, which is certainly refreshing. Kudos on sticking through it!

This post in particular reminded me of when I started my project to eat a different dinner every day of the year in 2006. As soon as people find out you're doing something, the questions about why you're doing it seem to be brought into question. At some point during that year, I think my reasons why I was doing it certainly morphed from my original intention to start - like it needed more validity than "just to see if I can" or "just because".

During that time we ate for roughly $200 a month, dining mostly at home, which still seems quite cheap to most, and I consider that we ate fairly well really.

At the time, we obtained a lot of free bread from Safeway (where it was to be guaranteed fresh and warm at 5pm or it was free - I think it was always free) and on a few occasions even got paid to "buy" fish filets - the fish monger slapping $2 off coupons on small fish filets that were only originally $1.86 or whatever. This is certainly where corporate food is a great source of amusement for me. It's amazing how much food you can accumulate for free, and I was kind of surprised that you didn't discuss that in more detail, such as your Taco Bell condiment packets, food banks, or anything of that sort.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home